Thursday, February 1, 2007

Tick tick tick...time for a quick video instead of a snapshot??

When looking at stereotypes, my plain words definition would probably be: relying on one quick image or viewpoint rather than taking the time to get to know the real situation. In Walter Lippmann’s Chapter VI, I noticed several important ideas in this quote about stereotypes that align with my view. “But modern life is hurried and multifarious, above all physical distance separates men who are often in vital contact with each other, such as employer and employee, official and voter. There is neither time nor opportunity for intimate acquaintance. Instead we notice a trait which marks a well known type, and fill in the rest of the picture by means of the stereotypes we carry about in our heads.” Although the stereotype is not necessarily a bad thing, it can still cause problems. Because of the convenience of relying on that initial picture, many people do not really take the time and effort to get the ‘behind the scenes’ story. Interestingly enough, it is always that side story that catches attention and sparks new ideas. Although the stereotypes will never fully disappear, if everyone would just take a few minutes each day to get a back story, many of the negative stereotypes would not be perpetuated. I know that I’d absolutely love to rip apart some of those pictures in my head and replace them with a movie clip of some true experiences whenever possible!

4 comments:

pmjhere said...

Extremely insightful, you make me proud kiddo. I wholeheartedly agree with your statements.

Ashley J. said...

Thanks mom, it's nice to hear that!

B. Weaver said...

I like the idea of upgrading the "pictures in our heads" metaphor from Lippman. Your idea of videos in our heads really speaks to today's younger generations. You can see from the name on my blog (More Than Digital Pictures in My Head) I see value in bring the concept into the new media age.

Ashley J. said...

I really do see that concept about the new media age in the majority of our assignments for this class as well as in your blog. Lately, I've been taking more quick videos on my digital camera, and it's so much more memorable that way instead of just a camera, so I thought it would apply well!!