Friday, February 9, 2007

Now what do I really think?

Yes, I will concede that immigration is a large issue facing America, but I will not allow that this show did much to clarify that issue. Those viewers looking to it for that should just change the channel. Although it opened my eyes to more details surrounding the law, I saw it more as one person’s specific experience. Had Frank not been a Cuban immigrant and not known Spanish, it would have been a completely different episode. Because of his background and experience, he could sympathize with this family. Some of his fellow Minutemen volunteers would not be so connected to their story.
When looking at my thoughts immediately after the show, I felt tender and supportive of the Gonzales family. Later, after thinking more clearly about what the producers and editors used and emphasized, I realized that I was led into that line of thought. After analyzing my views, I questioned many issues. If they had to scrimp and save for everything they had, where did the computer, video games, golf clubs, and other amenities come from? How was Armida expecting to get a full scholarship from U.S. citizens, if they could not go through the legal channels to become one? Many of the tender appeals for support fall flat when seeing the hard truth.
In the end looking at this story and picking out the truths is difficult. As with all reality television, you will see a slant to one side or another. However, as far as reality television does go, I would give this show a B rating. Unless you are critically examining the episode, it could be very easy to get persuaded by the warm and loving Gonzales family ideals.

1 comment:

sivadh said...

Wow! It's interesting how many views can be taken on the same show. I thought your blog was very interesting as compared to mine (read it to see what I mean). I felt that since Frank was a legal immigrant to the US he was be even harsher than someone born in America because he knows it can be done legally. At the same time, I didn't even think of the computer and video games until you pointed it out. It's interesting what we choose to see...