Sunday, April 1, 2007

Paging Dr. McGrey’s





Seriously, It’s easy to say that Grey’s Anatomy is one of the most popular shows on television. I just happen to have wonderful taste and love it as well! As the number 3 show for the week shown on the chart below, it’s easy to say that it beats out its competition in the time slot. In the top 20 list at Zap2it, no other show at its time slot is shown. As you can see, a little over 16 million households watched the show this past week, and it has had similar ratings when a new episode is shown.

Rank Program Name Net Day Time Rating/Share Households Viewers
3 GREY'S ANATOMY ABC Thu 9:00 PM 14.4/22.0 16,008,000 22,304,000

If we look at Grey’s’ main competition, CSI, on a personal level, it’s interesting to see which show people choose to watch. When talking to a set of friends, 3 out of 4 of us had decided to stick with CSI, while I stood alone and cheered on Meredith and the McMen of Grey’s. Obviously, In terms of ratings versus share, Grey’s got 22% of the viewers, and CSI, its competitor in the time slot, was no where to be seen. It’s interesting to think if we were to move Grey’s to a Tuesday or Wednesday and pit it against American Idol. Although some viewers would be lost, I think Grey’s could still carry their loyal viewers anywhere. I know that I would be one that sticks around. (Unless they try to kill Meredith again…I don’t know if I could support a double reincarnation.)

Overall, in terms of viewer ratings, you need a show like Grey's Anatomy to carry the most viewers. American Idol always does well, but it does not run year round, creating disparity with the Tuesday/Wednesday shows. Grey's loyal viewers will most likely stay true to the surgeons of Seattle Grace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Darling! I can't believe you blogged about Grey's Anatomy...I HATE that show. But I LOVE you so it's all good I guess. Anyway, I could help you with your e-portfolio if you need it. We should try and coordinate our schedules at some point before we graduate. P.S. Tuesdays are for dinner with us...we claim you that night.

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

The ratings and the demos it's pulling make it very attractive to advertisers. With this show, Ugly Betty and Dancing with the Stars, you'd think ABC would be doing better overall...

Ashley J. said...

That's a good point. I wonder how the other shows are factoring into their overall ratings?