Sunday, January 21, 2007

I've come to the realization that I'm an IM junkie.

Well as an additional class assignment, we were asked to reflect on our favorite media. This has taken me a while to think about, but I would have to say instant messaging. It is probably the one I use the most and is the most functional for me. I had not realized how much I really used it until I recently moved back on campus. While waiting for the ever annoying TitanNet to load and my port to be turned on, the only thing I could use was the slow email. At this point, I was starting to go crazy for my lack of a buddy list and friends to drop a line to! I also use instant messaging to talk to my parents so that I can just leave messages at the odd hours that I'm awake, and they can reply. I also use it to ask questions of friends on campus so that I don't have to constantly call. Probably my favorite use of it is to talk to several of my friends in the UK. After studying abroad there, I've really missed them. Phone is too expensive, and emails take too long to get a reply with. My best friend from there and I sometimes use a video chat, so it's even better to hear her voice and see her face. Although I love most forms of IM from aim to skype to windows messenger, I'd have to say that I'd much rather talk to them in person. However, if IM was taken away from me I would make do with other resources such as email and phone. I would miss the quick contact and the ability to know what several people are doing at once. I would also miss the quick file sharing that is an added bonus to IM. Hopefully, this never has to happen!

3 comments:

Beth Ann said...

I used to be an im junkie, it is addictive I agree. The good shepard was not so good...it was just about how terrible this guy's life was- I didn't like it. Jeremy is in to weird foreign films and he thought it was ok so take that as you will :0)

B. Weaver said...

Do you feel shielded with IM? Safe? Empowered? What happens to the intimacy that is often associated with the telephone as point to point communication? I'm curious do you IM anonymously?

Ashley J. said...

I don't really feel shielded with IM, it just seems more efficient at times because you can leave a message without interrupting. The one thing I do feel more safe about is my own statments, because I usually have more time to think about them. However, when I need to have a conversation that is important, I always insist on calling the person or seeing them face to face, so I guess I don't use it exclusively. I do not IM annoymously, and I'm not sure that I ever will. I like to use it to simply stay in touch with people.